Ostomy Standing Orders:
1. Assess and treat peristomal skin irritation.
2. Silver Nitrate to peristomal hypergranulation tissue.
3. a. Remeasure stoma until stoma size is stable.
b. Refit prosthetic equipment for ostomy.
4. Post-operatively, may teach colostomy irrigation until patient demonstrates independence in task.
5. Measure for peristomal hernia belt
6. Post-operatively, may teach ostomy care until demonstrates independence in this task.
7. Apply topical antifungal powder to peristomal skin to treat monilial skin irritation at each pouch change until irritation resolved and then d/c.
8. Apply topical corticosteriod spray or lotion to peristomal skin irritation at each pouch change until irritation resolved and then d/c.
9. Apply vinegar soaks to urostomy for encrustations QID until encrustations are resolved.
10. Refer to dietitian PRN for diet management/teaching.
11. Assess and treat mucocutaneous separation.
12. Pre-op teaching for ostomy care.
13. May use spirits of peppermint to cotton ball and place in fecal ostomy pouch prn at each pouch emptying.